Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Epidemic

For this entry, I reference this article from the NY TIMES.

Studies have shown that a quarter of teen aged girls have a std. The study tested girls for four of the most common stds and found that half African American girls and twenty percent of white girls have at least one of the stds.

I find it interesting that the remedies suggested included widespread testing and vaccinating against the diseases. Only deep into the article, and in the form of a quote, is there mention that perhaps the trend could be reversed with comprehensive sexual education in our schools.

My more cynical side wonders if half of the white girls, or if the girls in the study came only from "middle to upper middle class" families, if there would be widespread cries for change? I also notice there is no mention of boys. I doubt that only girls have stds. I would be curious to see if such a study would ever be done on boys. I think parents, and our society, are much more willing to subject girls to an invasive and humiliating exam than boys.

No comments: