Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Vacation and back again

I recently took a real vacation. Not family obligation tour. Not a day or two off to get tasks accomplished around the house. A real vacation. Flying . . . taxis . . . . all new restaurants.

It was actually kind of nice to, for several days in a row, not be "rape crisis lady." I think I got through the entire vacation without once telling anyone what I do for work, and what exactly that means.

And, the first night back, I took an ER call. Nothing like a stark reminder of the two sides of life. In this particular case, the most notable part was we actually had a woman doctor in the ER! I can't remember how long it has been since that has happened. And, I remember thinking during all of the goings on that there was such a tremendous difference between the female doctor and the men. This doctor apologized to the victim for asking her to repeat her story AGAIN . . . she got the speculum in with a single, smooth motion, and she worked quickly while keeping the victim well informed of her actions. Before examining the victim, she made sure the victim had a safe home to return to after the exam was over.

It was a nice way to remember why we do this work . . . and I is always renewing for me to see women working together for another who has been hurt.

No comments: