Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Woman Centered

I'm kinda an "old school" feminist. I had early childhood experiences in the San Francisco Bay area in the early 1970s. I told my father he was a male chauvinist pig for the first time when I was 8 years old (because he wanted me to dry dishes while he and my brothers watched tv). I remember seeing my mom's belly dancing group perform in parks on Saturdays.

I appreciate the woman centered experience.

Today I read a blog entry from a crew member of the Anthony Bourdain show No Reservations. The producer is a woman, her chief assistant is a woman, and their recent televised show was filmed in Saudia Arabia . . . and was largely led by a couple of Saudi women. You can read the entry here.

This is what I appreciate about the blog entry . . . and the fact of the conditions described. Here is a society that is uber male oriented/dominated. And, yet, the women have found a way to create woman centered times/intimacy in the midst of it. I have to appreciate that.

No comments: