Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I "respect" Bob Herbert

As always, the link to the article in question is in the title.

I want to make up t-shirts that have " I respect Bob Herbert" on them. I don't want the cutsy heart because it would be too confusing and reek of exploitation. But, I really think this guy gets it. Not just "women's" issues - but issues concerning how some humans treat other humans.

In this article - he reacts to the Mayor of Las Vegas being nearly gleeful at the thought of how much money his city could make if they legalized prostitution. Herbert points out that in many respects, Las Vegas is the epicenter of sexual exploitation in the US. It's disheartening to think that this Mayor completely disregards the real face of sexual exploitation and prostitution in his city -- or the costs to his city because child abuse, runaways, drugs, violence, and gang activity all run in the same cesspool as prostitution and the sex work of Vegas.

This article has me envisioning the whole of Vegas sliding in to hell in the "handbasket" my grandmother use to cite -- with the Mayor like a cherry on top. sigh.

No comments: