Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sad Trend

Naturally, because we are concerned with human welfare in this office, we are interested in issues surrounding parenting and helping parents keep their kids safe.

One of the trends I see more and more that makes me sad is how much media is devoted to giving parents information about basic parenting. Right now, I have a "Born Learning" poster over my desk - that urges parents to do things like "talk, sing, and read" to your child and establish a regular routine for the household.

I always assume such is something that would come "naturally" to parents. I was read to everyday when I was a child. I have lost my own voice more times than I can count reading to children.

Today, a co-worker found a book online on parenting. It had such complex suggestions like "ask your child how school went that day" and "have clean clothes for them." Again, if you can haul yourself out of bed and get dressed each day, wouldn't normalish conversation and clean clothes be something a parent would think of on their own?

Not only is this a sad trend -- but I also wonder if those parents who already do everything they can think of to create a safe, warm, and loving home but still find themselves struggling or fighting battles everyday -- what do they think? Is it really helpful to hear "sing to your child" when your child is slamming doors and screaming "I hate you"?

Surely, our society can offer parents more support than that. Surely.

No comments: