Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Business End

I've not posted lately because I've been bogged down with the business end of the crisis work.

It is amazing how quickly fortunes change in the non-profit business. Just two weeks ago, I was staying up nights wondering how I was going to make payroll if the state monies didn't come in. Now, I'm staying up wondering how I'm going to spend out all the funds of a grant by Dec. 31.

The problem is that because the state monies (which start July 1) didn't arrive until the last week of October. Being short four months worth of funds, we stopped spending on other grants. Now, we have to play catch up - but if we spend too much right at the end of a grant, it appears we had too much money. Sigh. The problem is that some of our grants reimburse us after we spend the money. So, you have to have money to spend before you can get money back. It keeps agencies honest - but it becomes really tough when other grant agencies are late on their funds.

Also, with the approach of the end of the calendar year, we have all kinds of reports due. In the interest of keeping everyone on the planet well informed of our happenings, my agency prepares monthly financial and client service stats for the board and monthly financial statements for two funders. We provide one funder with quarterly financial and client service stats reports. We provide the state with semi annual financial and client service reports. And, we provide everyone on the planet with annual reports. And, still some non-profits manage to employ criminals.

This week, while working on a holiday, I wondered how agencies whose directors are less inclined to the business end or that don't keep the tidy financial records I do manage to make these reports make sense. Maybe it's just a quirk of my nerdiness that I worry that my monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual reports all add up.

I need a hobby.

Add to all the reports - the holiday season is looming - so everyone is trying to schedule their meetings, workshops, etc before thanksgiving. This year I was smart - I scheduled a bit of vacation for right after thanksgiving.

Oh, and the client I saw in the ER this week? I wasn't being uncaring - I would normally offer to hold your hand during the icky part - but I have a cold and I really didn't want you to get it. It was more caring than holding your hand. I'm sorry if you didn't feel well taken care of.

No comments: