Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Life Lesson

One of the problems people involved in social activism is that all too often we forget that if we don't care for ourselves, nurture our own lives, we aren't going to be much good for anyone else. I'm no exception. It just seems that there is so much to be done, that sacrificing what I want seems easy.

Last night, my husband and I were invited to a birthday party for our best friend's child. This child thinks of my husband and I as her favorite "aunt and uncle" as well as best playmates. Our first reaction was to be responsible adults and say that the 4 hours drive time and late night out would be too much in our already busy schedules. Until she started to cry.

We were horrified. We, the fun aunt and uncle, are never suppose to make her cry. Now, intellectually, I know she'd get over it. But, it was exactly the wake up call we needed. We realized that at the end of our lives, we would never regret getting to spend her birthday with her. We would regret, at the end of our lives, knowing that we skipped her birthday for something we won't remember what we did.

So, in the name of taking care of my own life, I'm taking off work early today and driving up the highway for a kiddie birthday party. And, frankly, being exhausted tomorrow is going to be worth it.

No comments: