Thursday, January 3, 2008

Ick

One of those things I really hate happened tonight. I was having a nice mexican-ish meal with my husband . . . because in the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I've not shopped for much more than kitty litter in the past two weeks. And, a woman stopped at our table an greeted us warmly and with enthusiasm. It took me a moment to recognize her and place her. She is a local librarian I've worked with from time to time planning meetings in the library's meeting space. She and I have had several long conversations over the years . . . largely about my work. She also took a class with my husband several years ago.

Then, she introduced us to her companion or date. Unfortunately, I recognized him much more easily. His name and face have come up several times in my office because of his attraction to young children. Frankly, I'm surprised he's not in jail at the moment . . . since he's spent so much of his life there already.

I don't understand why people date felons. Especially people who commit the ickier, violent, horrible crimes. What makes people think that convicted felons won't someday commit a crime against them or their family? Even if you believe "they've done their time, now forgive them" does that mean you have to invited them into your home?

And, the real down side to being in a small town is that I can so easily recognize the scariest folks out walking around.

No comments: