Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Social Change comes in many forms

A big motivator for me doing this work is a commitment to social change. I would love to retire from this job because the service is no longer needed because women, children, and men can live without fear or threat of sexual violence. However, because sexual violence is so ingrained in all aspects of our culture and no strata of society is immune, I realize that achieving my goals for creating a world without sexual violence also means creating a world that also doesn't have violent or property crimes and equality of opportunity for all.

It would be easy to be bogged down with every issue that crops up. Over time, more out of self preservation than anything, I've learned to fight my battles. I believe that little actions can result in bigger impacts. I believe in the power if peer influence. For example: I bring my own water bottle with me to the office each day. I have my own water filter at home, and each night I fill a bottle and pop it in the frig to take with me in the morning. Some days I make a half juice/half water mix - other days straight water. I do this because I a) think single use bottled water is wasteful and b) I don't see the point of spending money on throw away bottles when it's much cheaper to filter my own.

I've never commented to co-workers about their water habits - but have noticed that they have started feeling constrained by the bottles they buy and throw away. So, as the "group leader" today I put a filter pitcher in the frig in the office for all to use. I'm hoping to see less trash being generated in my office, and I hope to encourage more water (over soda) drinking in the office.

Other issues I feel my agency (or me personally) can lead the way on include gender equality, reproductive freedom, pay equity and living wages, gay marriage and adoption, personal responsibility, and personal advocacy. There are more.

I also appreciate when my friends influence me. I have a friend who has raised my awareness and understanding of AIDS. Another friend has helped me understand more about wisely using resources. Lots of my friends are involved in parenting issues or health care issues.

So, today, do something that is good for the world - and be a good example to others, eh?

No comments: