Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cancer Ads

I absolutely hate the breast cancer ad that features a lacy bra and has the caption "Save the Ta-Tas" because it's not about saving breasts. It is about saving lives. It is about saving mostly women's lives.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, given our society's willingness to marginalize and objectify women into just random body parts.

So, a couple of weeks ago, while on a long drive, I thought up a similar campaign for men that hopefully would make people think twice about the whole ta-tas thing. It was "save the assholes" -- and an admonishment to get checked for colon/rectal cancer.

This week I saw another breast cancer ad -- it said "squish a boob, save a life" and it had a fat little pink penguin on it. Although some may not see the difference - I like this ad. It focuses on lives. It could be referring to the process of a mammogram. And, the penguin is just confusing enough to make it totally non-sexual.

So, go squish yer boobs.

No comments: