Monday, October 1, 2007

implied lesbianism

The other night, I went out clubbing with some friends. Something I'd not done in many a year. It was fun. It was exhausting. It was expensive. I don't see it becoming a habit.

But, one of the spectacles we were treated to was a group young women who were either soon to be college graduates or recent grads. They were all dolled up in cocktail dresses, big hair and big make-up. They were rubbing up against each other, fondling each other, having group kisses, and posing grabbing each other's breasts -- all for camera phone toting guys. They seemed to relish having their photos taken while behaving in a pretty sexual fashion.

I assumed that the boys taking the pictures were not part of the group because after the pictures were taken, the boys would drift off to compare pictures, and I assume email them to their buddies.

So, when did implied lesbianism become appropriate behavior? (I have quite a few gay and lesbian friends and relations, and have never seen this sort of behavior in the many situations I've seen them in.) And, don't these girls worry about what is going to happen with those pictures? Since we no longer teach sex ed in schools, what assumptions do men and women make about each other with this behavior? Is this behavior really an indicator of sexual freedom or women buying into sexual exploitation for the sake of male approval?

Maybe I'm too cynical because I would assume those pictures are going straight to the internet. And, I see this as an issue of women buying into the sexual exploitation of women.

sigh. Youth. But, whose to say I wouldn't have behaved that way in a different time and place? naw. I still hear my mother's/grandmother's voices in my head when contemplating bad behavior.

NOTE: After I wrote this, I thought that it might come across kinda harsh. I should clarify that I think that the behavior I describe in this post is insulting to people who are actually homosexual. And, I would like to note that being gay or lesbian is much more than who you have sex with -- but who you identify with and the way you define yourself within our society. I'm sorry if I came across as disapproving of actual gay and lesbian people. That isn't at all what I meant to achieve with this post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did not come across to me at least as condemning homosexuals. I understand what you are saying completely. I am homosexual. My girlfriends and I will go out, and be amde fun of but as long as we comply with men's constant need to take pictures it's okay. But if we prefer to be private with our sexual liasions we are sick freaks of nature.
Hopefully soon it will change.
.I doubt it.

CrisisWorker said...

Thanks for your kind comment.

The exploitation and fear of harassment or worse that you mention is exactly the sort of sexual stupidity that we need to change.

And, I don't think homosexual folks are "sick freaks of nature." Who you love ought not be the issue . . . . jerk behavior is the issue.