Thursday, October 11, 2007

Confessions

I've been following the coverage of the multiple guilty pleas of kidnapper/sex offender Michael Devlin. He's the guy who kidnapped the two boys - several years apart - and inflicted all sorts of tortures and horrors on the boys, especially the first boy.

Initially, there weren't many details but lots of innuendos made in the media. We all pretty much knew that there was some sexual torture going on - even if no one would say it out loud. We also knew that Devlin had been using the older boy has his own personal puppet and the most heinous of mental games/abuses had happened.

I'm just cynical enough to wonder how much Devlin is "enjoying" the retelling of his crimes in vivid detail. I know that he must admit to his actions as part of his pleas - but I also suspect there is some pleasure in it for him too.

I also have to applaud the parents of the boys because it seems that they are shielding their boys from the media. I hope they are getting the counseling, assistance, and tutors they need to help work towards restoring them. And, I'm happy to see that so many jurisdictions are doing their part to insure this guy is never trolling the streets again.

No comments: