Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday Fun Client Stories

This week I got a call from a student looking for resources for a school project. The reason I loved this call is that it's from a young woman we helped, oh my gosh, 8 years ago?

She was raped by her stepfather twice on successive nights. The third night, she ran away from home and stayed away. After telling her family why she'd run away, her stepfather went to prison and the relationship between my client and her mother was on the mend. It took a long time for the relationship to go from mother/child/betrayed and hurt to one of mutual friendship and restored trust.

My client went off to college - and from the sounds of it she did the college thing right - student leadership, lots of good friends, exposure to varied viewpoints, lots of learning - the whole thing. Now, after three years of public school teaching - she has started law school. She wants to use her law degree to be an advocate for children.

I love knowing that our clients who were at the depths of their lives have pulled themselves together and have created for themselves happy, successful lives. And, I can't help but feel a twinge of pride because I know somewhere along the line, I contributed just a bit.

No comments: