Thursday, October 18, 2007

Teacher/Student Inappropriate Activities

I've just been reading my hometown newspaper and see that a girl I went to high school with has been sentenced for inappropriate sexual activities with a student. Sigh. I can't say I am surprised. Not like there was anything in this woman's high school behavior that would lead me to think that 25 years later she'd be a sex offender. I'm not surprised because it just reminds me that anyone can be a sex offender.

I learned this when I was in high school. One of my teachers was convicted of sexually abusing a student. We had heard rumors of parties at this teacher's home for students who played sports. We'd heard rumors of her having an affair with one of the senior boys. We never dreamed that she'd be sexually abusing one of the younger girl ball players. Although, knowing what I know now, it fits. The girl she abused had a tough family/home life. She wasn't really popular and wasn't a stand out in the classroom or on the court. The perfect target for someone looking to prey on a vulnerable person.

Our local paper printed the whole transcript of the trial. I remember admiring the student for having the courage to testify -- even then I realized how difficult it would be to relate such details in front of strangers. We also learned from the trial that the teacher in question had lost a job in another state for similar activities and had been banned from teaching in that state. She moved on to our state. I remember thinking then that even though the judge ordered her to never teach again, I was pretty sure that in a couple years time (when she got out of jail) she'd must move on to another state.

This is why we need to link state sex offender registries so that it is harder for offenders to just move to a new place and set up shop again. Or make it easier for school systems to do back ground checks. It's not a cure-all, but a tool.

No comments: