Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Fun Client Stories

Just as a matter of information - part two of that NPR story from yesterday's post is on the NPR web site if you want to get the rest of the story. It will depress you.

But, on to the Friday Fun. I wanted to tell you about one of my best moments of doing this job.

A few years back, I got a call from one of the first clients with whom I ever worked. Back then, she was a teen who was dealing with the aftermath of reporting the sexual abuse she'd suffered since she was a toddler. Because it was a family case, there were people around her taking sides - some she had assumed would stand by her ended up speaking out against her. It was a difficult time for her. I would see her often through the health clinic at her school.

But, time goes by -- and people grow up. She now is all grown up, lives in another state, and works with sexually abused children. She is married and when she called, was expecting her first child.

She called to tell me that she wanted me to know how often she thought of me as she grew up - how often she would think of my words when faced with difficult choices. And she wanted to thank me for everything I'd done for her back then.

One, I was thrilled to hear how much she'd done for herself - and how good a life she'd made for herself. But, I also was touched that back when I was still pretty new to this - and much younger myself - she thought I did right by her. That's rewarding.

No comments: