Wednesday, July 4, 2007

We're not against sex, we're against bad, hurtful, scary, crime

For some reason, there are some misconceptions about the work I do - and why I do it for that matter.

First, we aren't anti-sex. In fact, we're all for it. We are probably more liberal in our views than many. However, we also realize that all too often, sex is used for everything from selling tacos to controlling whole groups of people. Sex may be the bodily function that is the most misunderstood - and most misused.

Second, I do this work because I believe in it.

I had a volunteer tell me one time that she thought I must be a "closet christian" because she couldn't imagine any other reason I'd do this work, but that I was trying to get into heaven. I actually was insulted by that. I think it's really kinda cynical to think that I wouldn't want to do the right thing, simply because it is THE RIGHT THING.

I don't do this work because I was sexually abused as a child. I don't do this work because I'm trying to work out - or ignore - my own issues. I don't do this work because I have power and control issues.

I had strong feminist influences in my early childhood. My grandmother instilled in me that I should use my talents to the benefit of others. I can't imagine working for "corporate america" where some shareholder is making more money from my labors than I do. I believe that the world is made a better place because I do this work. I believe that people who work to end misery will bring about world peace. I do this work because it allows me to look myself in the mirror at the end of the day. And, some of the people I've met doing this work -- well, I know that my life would not have been complete if I'd never met them.

That and the huge wheel barrels of money I drag home each week. (not)

And, I know more about the bizarro sexual practices of others than the average pervert. And, I have a really long list of people I've seen naked.

No comments: