Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The part I hate

All things considered, I really do love what I do. I adore my volunteers and co-workers. I like my board members. I respect the law enforcement, medical staff, and prosecutor's office folks I encounter. I really appreciate most of the folks who also do this work around the state and country. For most of the clients I've seen, I can honestly say that it's a shame that this was the way I had to meet them -- because they had been violated and harmed.

When I was in Jr. High - I had a teacher tell us that we would never find a job we like 100%. I like to think I've come pretty darn close -- maybe 95%. I have looked around at what other people do - and from what I can observe, there isn't a job out there better suited to me.

However, there is one part I hate. Money. I hate having to beg for it. I hate having to explain, year after year, why the people we serve are worth the effort. I hate being treated as if I'm hauling in huge sums of money as the person in charge - or worse, as if I'm actually scamming the public. (I work really hard to keep our books in good, clean order - and to adhere to all regulations governing the documentation and use of our funds.)

Over the years, I've seen too many really excellent folks in this field leave because the money stuff just becomes too much eventually. The fact of the matter is, because most of our services are offered by volunteers - and because I've never been in it for the money - my agency provides our whole community with a 24-hour a day service that is free of charge to our clients for about 10% of what it would cost if you had to pay employees to do all the work we do - and pay a competitive wage.

That being said -- this year, my agency is conducting a brand new fund raiser -- we are trying to collect a Mile of Quarters. And, each and every donation made -- whether it is a $50 donation from a friend of mine or $3 collected by a old lady's bible group -- has warmed my heart. For so long, I thought I was "going it alone" in caring if our agency survived. And seeing how many people will open their minds, hearts, and checkbooks to our cause has really helped me see that this work really is a community effort.

But, I still hate having to prove to specific grant making entities that rape victims are worth a few bucks.

No comments: