Thursday, July 5, 2007

When to take a day off

I have always maintained that one of the reasons I've been able to stay in this job so long is because I have a pretty good sense of when to take some time off.

The other day, a relatively new employee and I were taking about a dream she had that was fairly violent in nature. She'd spent some of her weekend watching crime TV and thought that perhaps that had contributed.

I told her that I'd figured out a long time ago, that when I start having dreams of chasing my husband around with an axe, it's time to take a day off. So far, this system has worked for me. I urged her to figure out her own indication that she'd had enough of other people's misery -- and take time to care for her own mental health.

I think it's probably a good thing for everyone - from crisis workers to stay at home moms to fry cooks to know when they should prioritize themselves over their work.

No comments: