Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Selling "Safety"

Most women who are physically or sexually abused are victimized by someone they know, and often know quite well. This is well established fact.

So, it makes me annoyed when I see companies honing in on fear of rape or "stranger danger" as a way to make a buck. (I know, I know - there are actually people who are abducted and raped and murdered by complete strangers who selected them totally randomly. I'm not denying this, however, I it is still MUCH more common for the assailant to be someone the victim knows.) For example, Volvo is now marketing a feature in their cars which is a "heart beat" monitor. Their commercial features a woman approaching her car - the only car in the lot. And, to drive home the point that she's at risk, the voice over points out that her car is the last car in the lot. And she holds up her keyless entry to see a light flashing, indicating that there is someone in her car - and she is able to turn and leave the lot before even coming close to the car. Similarly, there is a company marketing police style stun guns to women for personal safety.

Here are my feelings about this sort of safety device. It's a very good thing if they save even one woman from ever ending up seeing me in the middle of the night. However, I'm not sure you can prove that that is actually the case. Most women who are being attacked by a lover aren't likely to knock them cold with a stun gun. Most women attacked in their cars, are attacked by someone they invited in - or are at least aware of when they get into the car.

I'm afraid that devices like this would give women a false sense of security and make them more casual about their awareness of their surroundings. Also, a weapon is only useful if you have it in your hand and are prepared to use it without hesitation. If you have a stun gun in your purse, if someone grabs you from behind as you approach your car - they aren't likely to release you and give you a moment to retrieve the stun gun before resuming their assault.

And, I worry that weapons - from mace to stun guns to actual guns - are as likely to be used against victims as perpetrators. Again, the whole familiarity thing plays into it. I'm not saying that women are incapable of making the decision to defend themselves - but rather they are more likely to hesitate if the person they are defending against is someone they care about.

Lastly, I'm tired manipulation of people based on fear. I hate seeing politicians, advertisers, and community leaders tap into fears - real and imagined - to give themselves or their agendas a leg up.

No comments: